A few weeks ago, I snuck up to St. Louis to spend a few days with my mom and her wonderful husband. It was exactly what the doctor ordered. While my folks were at work, I spent my mornings reading with the sunrise and coffee and taking walks around Historic Lafayette Park. During the day, I would catch up on some much-needed adulting I needed to do then saunter off to my mom’s plot at the community garden to collect vegetables for dinner. One night I whipped up this eggplant dish and accompanying main of stewed tomatoes and rainbow chard… more on that to come. For now:
Roasted Eggplant with Goat Cheese, Pomegranate, & Pistachios
- 3-4 Japanese eggplant, sliced in half the long way
- 1 four-ounce packet of goat cheese, crumbled
- Pomegranate seeds, half a pomegranate
- 1/4 cup of roasted pistachios
- 1 tablespoon almond oil (I skimmed the oil off of an almond butter jar)
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- Place sliced eggplant facedown on a lightly oiled baking sheet, place in oven and bake until tender. About 25 minutes
- Remove from the oven. Flip eggplant cut side up and lightly glaze the cut surface with almond oil and squeeze lemon across the eggplant.
- Top eggplant with goat cheese, pomegranate, pistachios, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste
- For a little extra pizazz, you can, ever so sparingly, drizzle honey on top with a little extra sea salt.