My favorite jelly that my grandmother used to make was jalapeno jelly. She would dollop it on top of cream cheese and crackers. To this day, I remember it being her go-to appetizer for family gatherings and our little afternoon treat on hot summer days. I think it was then that my love of the sweet and spicy combo began. I thought I’d share with you the recipe that she used to use. Admittedly, I may have wanted to share it with you just so I could whip up some crackers with cream cheese. Either way, I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 green bell peppers
- 14 jalapeno peppers
- 1 1/2 cups of apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 5 cups of sugar
- 1 packet of liquid pectin
- 3-4 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- Coarse chop bell peppers and 14 jalapenos in a blender, pulse smooth
- Pour in a saucepan with the vinegar and bring to a boil for 20 minutes
- Remove from heat and strain through cheesecloth or fine sieve
- Return pepper juice back to the saucepan and combine with salt and sugar
- Bring mixture to a rolling boil and stir in pectin
- Then add minced jalapenos and ladle the mixture into jars.